How Much Solar Power Do You Need To Power An Entire House?
The idea of installing solar panels at your house is itself a lucrative proposal. Solar energy is popular for generating clean energy free of cost. Generating your own power from solar energy sounds very interesting to every house owner. When we comment “Entire House” there are multiple aspects we need to clearly understand. To know the solar power requirement for your house, you will need to understand these few points:
- Sanctioned load of your house: Every electricity bill will have a column mentioning the sanctioned load of the premises. It can be in any form, known as KW or KvA. We need to know about the sanctioned load of the house very well. The solar plant installation capacity completely depends on the sanctioned load as it cannot be more than that or exceed it. For e.g. if the sanctioned load of the house is 10 KW, then the solar plant capacity cannot be more than 10 KW i.e. the sanctioned load.
- Number of appliances at home: Every appliance or machinery will have a different load capacity. For e.g.
- Fan / Light – It requires approximately 75 to 100 Watts for a single fan or light. They are the lowest power consuming appliances in the house.
- Fridge – We assume it to consume 200 to 250 Watts approximately for 1 fridge. Fridge is such an appliance which is almost running for 24 hours every day.
- TV – TV consumes approximately 100 to 150 Watts depending upon the technology and brand. The power used in them is rare as the usage of TV in house is also less compared to other appliances.
- Air conditioner / Heater – Power consumption of AC varies from 1000 watts to 2000 watts depending upon the capacity and make. This consumes the most electricity in the house. In summers, air conditioners are operated for almost more than 10 hours in average. The major decision behind choosing residential solar power plant is because of high electricity bills due to ACs.
- Geyser – They are comparatively high-power consuming appliances varying from 1500 watts to 2000 watts minimum. It is a high-power consuming product used in houses. The duration of running geyser in the house is comparatively less than air conditioners.
- Motor – It consumes anywhere between 500 watts to 2000 watts depending upon the capacity and size of the motor. The motor installed in houses is only used for a short period of time.
All these appliances have different power consumption capacity. So, after knowing the number of appliances and their load in wattage you will be able to detect the solar plant capacity required at your house.
- Size of the house: If the house is having only 2 bhk then obviously the power consumption will be comparatively less than a 4 or 5 bhk house. The greater number of rooms or bigger the house, automatically higher the power requirement. A big house uses approximately 10 KW solar plant whereas a smaller house uses 5 KW solar plant. Well, this is just a scenario where the capacity is mentioned. It can always be more or less than the discussed figure. According to the size of the house, there are multiple solar panel kits for home available for purchase.
- Area available on the roof: The area on the terrace will help us know the total number of solar panels that can be accommodated. On an average, a 1000 sq. ft area can easily accommodate 10 KW solar plant which will approximately generate 5 units in a single day. Also, the user has option to use elevated solar structures where they are able to completely use their terrace whenever needed. To know the exact area available on the roof for solar installation, you can contact solar rooftop companies in Delhi.
- Type of solar power plant: There are two types of solar power plants installed in the residential sector, On grid and Off grid solar plant. If the user is facing any power outages issue, then he / she can opt for off grid solar plant with batteries. The batteries are typically installed for situations where there is no availability of grid. Whereas, ON grid solar plants are installed in areas where there is no issue of power cuts. The user wishes to generate their own electricity and save on the electricity bills. When installing Off grid solar plants, you need to increase the capacity as some part of electricity will be used to charge the batteries. Whereas, in ON grid solar plants the capacity can be decided on the basis of load requirement.
All these points will help us out to know the exact power requirement for the entire house and help us reduce our electricity bills.
A typical household which has 08 KW sanctioned load on their electricity bill will require 08 KW solar plant for running their appliances. If you install 450 Watt – Mono perc half cut solar panels, you will be requiring around 18 nos. of solar panels. After installing them, you will be able generating around 32 to 40 units of electricity per day. If you are going with off grid solar plant then you will be requiring at least 10 KW or 12 KW of solar plant. The excess units generated will be used to charge the solar batteries.
After knowing the exact power requirement at your house, you are all set to install solar for your home. The benefits of installing solar for your house is infinite and this form of renewable energy produces electricity free of cost. Every house will have a different power requirement as per there load consumption. Once, you are able to understand the basic fundamentals of power consumption requirement at your house and electricity generation from solar. You are ready to switch.